The WMFC is entirely a volunteer Foundation and is the only Canadian organization focused exclusively on WM, its patients, and their families. We run only two donation campaigns per year; right now we are asking for your support for our Year End Appeal. All donations that are received by December 31, 2021 will receive a CRA tax receipt.
Our recent accomplishments and future plans include:
- WMFC continues to fund two Research Grants: a US $200,000 WM research grant to Dr Hunter at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard University as well as a research grant for $96,421 for Dr. Chen’s project at University Health Network in Toronto. Details can be found here.
- Expanded our network of Support Groups to eight, including most major cities across Canada.
- Completely redesigned the WMFC.ca website making it more user friendly, with expanded education and support opportunities as well as becoming the centre for Canadian-focused information on WM and Covid-19 for all WMers.
- WMFC is organizing an in-person patient Education Forum in Calgary on April 23, 2022. WM specialists from both Canada and the US have accepted invitations to speak. Plan on attending!
- WMFC actively endorses an important WM Clinical Trial, conducted by Dr Berinstein of the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, the first in Canada in many years. This Phase 2 trial uses a combination of Bendamustine, Rituximab and the BTK Inhibitor, Acalabrutinib.
- For the first time in Canada, the WMFC, in collaboration with Dana-Farber, is hoping to offer an accredited course for all Hematologists to learn about the diagnosis, treatment and research of our very rare cancer. This program is to be presented by Dana-Farber’s top doctors in 2022. This is a wonderful opportunity for Canadian Doctors, and is waiting on accreditation approval.
- WMFC is finalizing the details of a partnership that will potentially double the WM research grant capabilities next year in Canada. We anticipate participating in a Request For Proposal (RFP) process, specifically to fund a new, exciting research project. We need your help to make this new research a reality.
Thank you for all your support, without which none of this would be possible. We ask that you Make a Donation this year, as your contributions really do matter for all WMers and the WMFC, so we can continue our search for a cure.
Thank you on behalf of all WMers.
WMFC Board Chair