The WMFC is an all-volunteer Canadian organization that receives no government funding. Approximately 90% of all donations go towards funding research for a cure for WM and patient support.
The WMFC thanks you for considering a donation to the WMFC.
We support donations “In Honour” or “In Memory” of someone.
There are MANY ways you can contribute to the WMFC:
Donating securities that have generated sizeable capital gains provides both the donor and the WMFC with a win/win scenario. A gift of securities to the WMFC is one of the most financially sound and tax effective ways to support our programs.
When you donate stocks, mutual funds or other types of marketable securities to the WMFC, you pay no capital gains tax. The WMFC will receive the full amount of the donation and you will also receive an income tax receipt for the full amount of the gift.
An illustration of the benefits is below:
|Sell securities for cash
and donate after-tax profits
directly to the WMFC
|Current Market Value||$5,000||$5,000|
|Tax on Capital Gain
(@ 46% marginal rate)
|$ 920||$ –|
|Donation after tax||$4,080||$5,000||WMFC receives $920 more|
|Charitable Donations tax credit||$1,876||$2,300||You receive an extra $424
in charitable tax credit
Transferring securities can be easily coordinated between your broker and the WMFC’s broker and an income tax receipt will be issued for the value of the securities at the date they are transferred to the WMFC. Please consider this fantastic opportunity if you have taxable securities that have generated sizeable capital gains.
Our form for donating securities is available at https://www.wmfc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Securities-form-final.pdf.
Make a LEGACY GIFT
You can ensure that your legacy lives on after your death, in two different ways.
Make the WMFC a beneficiary in your Will. Your gift can be for any specific amount, percentage or residue of your estate. All it takes is a simple clause in your Will.
Or make the WMFC a beneficiary of a life insurance policy you already own, or one that you buy.
In either case, a tax receipt for the full amount received by the WMFC will be issued at the time of your death. This may offset capital gains or other taxes payable, and lessen the financial impact on your estate.
Double your Donation
Does your employer have a gift matching program that could double your donation to the WMFC? Some employers in Canada match charitable gifts dollar for dollar. Check with your human resources department, they may have a matching gift policy in place.
Make an Introduction
Do you know a board or staff member at a Canadian charitable foundation that funds cancer patient education or research? If so, we would love to hear from you. As the WMFC works to secure new funding to deliver on our goals, we depend on our WM community to help us identify prospects and make an introduction that can support our fundraising efforts. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions with respect to the donation of securities, donation via life insurance, or legacy giving may be addressed to Andrew Beacom, Treasurer of the WMFC, at email@example.com.
Some Canadian WM patients are not in a position to make a financial contribution at this time. We are as committed to those patients as any other and encourage you to send a Note of Appreciation to the WMFC. Our volunteers are always buoyed to hear we are making a difference in your lives.
Additional Information on donating to the WMFC
- The WMFC will issue a Canadian tax receipt for all donations of $25 or more to be sent by email, where possible.
- Being a volunteer organization, the WMFC operates with a very low overhead of between 10 -15% of donations. After the funding of our support of member services, that leaves approximately 75% of our donations to fund research, which can enhance the quality of life for those with WM and ultimately find a cure.
- Special contributions of “IN HONOUR OF” or “IN MEMORY OF” are available by completing the appropriate area on the DONOR or ONLINE Forms. WMFC will send out a Tribute Card to the named party.
- All online donations take place on a secure server with no credit card information stored on this website.
- Contributions are voluntary and any patient, caregiver or family member may become a member of the WMFC at no cost by completing the Membership application form on this website.
- WMFC is the only charitable organization in Canada to focus exclusively on WM and its patients.
- In recognition of all the charitable requests individuals receive each year, the WMFC commits to having only two charitable requests during the year. The first will be a designated Research Month where we hope that WM members and their friends will contribute to the latest research project(s) which the WMFC has selected to fund. The second request will be made at the end of the year where we will ask our WM members to support our Imagine A Cure campaign where we are attempting to raise $1,000,000 in support of WM research and member services.